Business Case Studies, Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers Case Study, Metlife's Acquisition of Citigroup's Insurance Arm, Travelers Inc , The Synergies

print page
Tell A Friend
Bookmark
 

Case Categories

Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers Case Study

IBS CDC IBS CDC IBS CDC IBS CDC RSS Feed
Case Title:

SINOPEC, DuPont Chemicals JV in China: The Probable Synergies

Publication Year : 2010

Authors: S Chaudhuri, A Ghosh

Industry: Chemicals

Region:Global

Case Code: MAA0210IRC

Teaching Note: Not Available

Structured Assignment: Not Available

Buy This Case Study
OR





Abstract:
In order to meet the fast-growing demand of the Chinese market, China's largest petroleum products producer and distributor, China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (SINOPEC), formed a joint venture (JV) with the US chemical major DuPont to produce ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA). The JV would install a production capacity of 60,000 tonnes of EVA per annum in SINOPEC's Beijing-based unit Yanshan Petrochemical Corporation and was scheduled to start-up at the end of 2008. SINOPEC would own 55% of the JV and DuPont would hold the remaining 45%. The combination of the manufacturing expertise of SINOPEC and the latest EVA technology from DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers will open up new business opportunities to serve different market segments in China. The new facility will enhance the existing manufacturing capability of SINOPEC and will capture the rapidly emerging market demand. In 2007, China had an annual total consumption of 700,000 tonnes of EVA; and with the ongoing economic development, the demand of EVA was expected to increase to 1 million tonnes by 2010. The international JV would also mitigate the investment risk of SINOPEC. The JV would also boost the demand for SINOPEC's petroleum products. But going forward, SINOPEC might face problems on account of conflict of interest, capacity expansion and political interference.

Pedagogical Objectives:

  • To discuss the Chinese chemical industry.
  • To discuss the dynamics and the growth of Sinopec as an international oil company.
  • To analyse the role of the JVs in Sinopec's global expansion.
  • To analyse the future of Sinopec's strategic alliances.

Keywords : Chinese chemical industry, Cost advantage, Petrochemicals, Asia Pacific, Sinopec, Upstream, Midstream, Downstream, Refinery, Ethylene, DuPont, Ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA), Performance material, Joint venture (JV)

Contents : 
China’s Chemical Industry
China’s growing importance in Global Chemical Industry
Sinopec’s Presence in China
China Petroleum And Chemical Corporation Sinopec’s Downstream activities
Sinopec Corporate Highlights
Sinopec’s Joint Venture with Dupont
Worldwide locations of DuPont
DuPont and its Business Platforms with contribution
Joint Ventures and Acquisitions

Recently Bought Case Studies

    Recently Bought Case Studies
advertisement

    Executive Interviews

  • Dr. Michael HammerDr. Michael Hammer

    Visiting Professor at MIT and a Fellow at Oxford University.
    Speaks on Change Management
  • Don SullDon Sull

    Donald N Sull is a Professor of Management Practice in Strategic and International Management at the London Business School.
    Speaks on Strategy Execution
  • Michael BrimmMichael Brimm

    Prof. Michael Brimm is Emeritus Professor of Organization and Management at INSEAD.
    Speaks on Managing Complexity
  • View All Executive Interviews»






Contact us: IBS Case Development Centre (IBSCDC), IFHE Campus, Donthanapally, Sankarapally Road, Hyderabad-501 504, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
Mob: +91- 9640901313, Phone: +91 - 08417 - 236672, Fax : + 91 - 08417 - 236674
E-mail: casehelpdesk@ibsindia.org

©2003-2010 IBS Case Development Centre. All rights reserved. | Careers | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Disclosure | Site Map xml sitemap